We sat it on a very informative webinar today regarding Windows 10, which will be available in a few days for upgrade. Below are the pertinent facts that you need to know BEFORE you upgrade.
1. You have ONE YEAR to get your FREE upgrade from Microsoft.
2. Basic Operating System Requirements are:
- You must be currently running Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1. (Anything older will require a new computer.)
- You must have Windows Update set to receive automatic updates.
- Your device must be up-to-date with all Windows Updates.
3. Basic Hardware Requirements are:
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
- RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB)
- Free hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
- Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
- Display: 800x600
Very Important Stuff!
- ALL Drivers need to be updated before you upgrade.
- All drivers on your computer (display, mouse, keyboard, etc.)
- All drivers for peripheral equipment (like printers or other machines that interact with your computer)
- All Third-Party Applications need to be reviewed for compatibility. Check with the manufacturer to make sure you have the latest version or update of any non-Microsoft applications (Accounting packages, manufacturing applications, etc.).
There is no rollback – you can’t go back once you do it.
- You have one full year to do this so do NOT upgrade until you know you are ready.
- Make a backup of your hard drive BEFORE you upgrade.
Our recommendation is to upgrade existing machines only when necessary. The free update from Windows 7 and 8.1 will be available for one full year, so no immediate action is necessary on your part. In most cases, moving to the new operating system is best done when purchasing new hardware. This method allows the system to be configured and tested without creating unnecessary downtime for your current employees.
In cases where an in-place upgrade is desired, Southwest Cyber Systems is available to assist you in the necessary planning, backup, and data loss prevention steps that are required to ensure a safe and secure update experience. (Before upgrading, it is important to update all drivers and firmware and to verify compatibility for attached machines and third-party applications.)